The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) aim to encourage sustained economic growth by achieving higher levels of productivity and through technological innovation. Promoting policies that encourage entrepreneurship and job creation are key to this, as are effective measures to eradicate forced labour, slavery and human trafficking. With these targets in mind, the goal is to achieve full and productive employment, and decent work, for all women and men by 2030.
This year’s agenda issues reflect many of the goals laid out by SDG 8, including
• 7 per cent gross domestic product growth per annum in LDCs
• Achieve higher levels of economic productivity through diversification, technological upgrading and innovation
• Promotion of policies that support decent job creation, entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation
• Improve global resource efficiency in consumption and production
• Decouple economic growth from environmental degradation
• Achieve full and productive employment and decent work for all women and men,
including for young people and persons with disabilities
• Achiever equal pay for work of equal value
• Substantially reduce the proportion of youth not in employment, education or training
• Eradicate forced labour, end modern slavery and human trafficking and secure the prohibition and elimination of the worst forms of child labour
• Protect labour rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers
• Devise and implement policies to promote sustainable tourism
• Encourage and expand access to banking, insurance and financial services for all
Many of the topics at THIMUN Qatar are inspired by this important Sustainable Development Goal. Click here to see of the full list of topics.