Gender Equality and Empowerment for Women and Girls
The 2018 THIMUN Qatar conference theme is Gender Equality and Empowerment for Women and Girls, inspired by Sustainable Development Goal 5.
THIMUN Qatar will incorporate many of the key issues surrounding this Sustainable Development Goal (SDG), and each committee or commission will incorporate one gender-related issue as one of its four topics. In addition, THIMUN Qatar runs a Special Committee dedicated to its theme, and this will incorporate issues that are key to SDG 5.
Some of the Agenda items to be covered include
- End all forms of discrimination against all women and girls everywhere
- Eliminate all forms of violence against all women and girls in the public and private spheres
- Eliminate all harmful practices, such as child, early and forced marriage and FGM
- Recognize and value unpaid care and domestic work
- The promotion of shared responsibility within the household
- Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decisionmaking in public life
- Ensure universal access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights
- Undertake reforms to give women equal rights to economic resources
- Improved access to ownership and control over land and other forms of property
- Improved access to financial services, inheritance and natural resources
- Enhance the use of enabling technology, in particular information and communications technology, to promote the empowerment of women
- Adopt and strengthen sound policies and enforceable legislation for the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of all women and girls